Healing Children and Adolescents through Creativity Workshop
North Dakota Council
on the Arts
Bismarck, North Dakota, USA
June 18 and 19, 2018
This workshop is SOLD OUT!
The Bridge Event
(Boise Unitarian Universalist
6200 N Garrett St
Boise ID 83714
Monday, June 25 and Tuesday, June 26, 2018
This workshop has just 5 seats available!
Friendly House in the
1542 NW 14th Ave
Friday, June 29 and Saturday, June 30, 2018
This workshop is open for registration!
Course number 620047
sponsored by the
Wyoming Arts Council
Thursday, July 12 and Friday 13, 2018
Earn 13 CEs through R. Cassidy Seminars: HERE
A Workshop for Professionals in Mental Health,
Education and Medicine
Would you like to safely incorporate expressive, creative therapeutic methods in your mental
The Healing Children and Adolescents through Creativity Workshop offers the basic principles and
practice of art therapy, hands-on art therapeutic assessments and creative interventions for the treatment of depression,
anxiety, acting-out behaviors, ADHD, anger management and low self-esteem.
This training event reviews various topics within the field of art therapy. Covered are topics such as
the history of art therapy, important evaluation techniques used by art therapists and case studies with client/patient artworks
in PowerPoint presentations.
This is an experiential, theoretical and process-oriented workshop!
No prior experience with art materials is necessary.
As a participant you are invited to draw, paint and sculpt a variety of art therapeutic exercises
that help clients and patients identify and express their thoughts, feelings, conflicts, strengths and increase their self-esteem
and coping skills.
When children and adolescents suffer from
depression, abuse, trauma or medical stress art expression is a natural way to communicate difficult feelings.
- Introduction to the field of art therapy.
- Outline the history of art therapy highlighting key contributors to the field.
- Explain the underlying principles of art therapy.
- Outline the components an art therapy course of treatment.
- Experience art materials through art therapeutic processes.
- Experience non-directive and directive evaluation and treatment approaches.
- Illustrate art therapy principles and practice by reviewing
six case studies of clients and their art therapeutic course of treatment.
- Demonstrate the use of metaphor and healing stories in art therapy.
- Present art therapeutic interventions to improve the client's self-esteem, increase insight, decrease
trauma and acting-out behaviors.
- Review forensic
art therapy evaluation techniques for suspected child sexual abuse.
- Review the importance of object relations, art making and expression.
- Understand issues involving the interpretation of children's art.
|Healing through Creativity Workshop
|Workshop participants in Sofia, Bulgaria
First day registration and sign-in: 8:30am to 9:00am.Workshop hours are from 9:00am to 5:00pm - both days.
Coffee, tea, and
light, healthy refreshments will be served at 10:30am and 3:00pm. Lunch is on your own at nearby restaurants and cafes.
Day One: Child and Adolescent Art Therapy Principles, Assessment and Interpretation
Registration check-in: 8:45 - 9:00 AM
Workshop Time: 9:00-12:00 & 1:00 to 5:00
materials including paper, drawing and painting supplies and stoneware clay are included in the workshop fee.
The first day begins by covering a brief history of Art Therapy and an overview of key contributors to the field.
The major clinical modalities used
in Art Therapy are highlighted (psychodynamic, cognitive-behavioral, developmental model, et al).
- Developmental stages of child mark-making and
art creation is visually presented through power point.
- The developmental model of Art Therapy assessment will set the foundation for various therapeutic evaluation techniques.
- Non-directive (E. Ulman) Art Therapy evaluation
explained. Participants will experience this process first-hand.
- Origins of art therapy in power point and lecture.
- Who is and is not an art therapist. The education and registration process for art therapists.
- Directive drawing, painting and sculpture evaluations will be experienced
by the participants.
- A psychodynamic
analysis of art media is introduced.
in decrypting and interpreting client's visually imagery: process and product.
Two: Child/Adolescent Art Therapy Exercises
Workshop Time: 9:00-12:00
& 1:00 to 5:00
Day Two is heavily experiential and designed to build upon the principles
of art therapy covered in Day One.
art therapeutic exercises will be experienced by the participants for the treatment of child and adolescent:
children of alcoholics and addicts
learning & developmental disabilities
victims of ritual abuse
- Case studies of child and adolescent
clients and power point presentations of client artworks are reviewed. Course of treatment reviewed.
- Forensic interviewing techniques: how to question and speak to children
and adolescents about traumatic events reflected in their artworks.
- Effective metaphors and healing stories
use of transitional objects. Participants will create a transitional object in stoneware clay.
- The psychological impact of creating therapeutic art in clay,
charcoal, pastels and paint will be experienced by the participants.
- Feelings Maps will be created and analyzed.
- Using Art Therapy in a school setting
- Structuring Art Therapy sessions for individuals and groups.
- Question and Answer period.
- Evaluation of the Child Art Therapy Training Workshop, forms passed out/turned
- Wrap-Up, Thanks and Goodbyes.